- Nickerson JW, Pettus K, Wheeler KE, Hallam C, Bewley-Taylor DR, Attaran A, Gelb AW. (2017) Access to controlled medicines for anesthesia and surgical care in low-income countries: a narrative review of international drug control systems and policies. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, 64(3):296-307.
- Stoett P, Daszak P, Romanelli C, Machalaba C, Behringer R, Chalk F, Cornish S, Dalby S, de Souza Dias BF, Iqbal Z, Koch T, Krampe F, Lo M, Martin K, Matthews K, Nickerson JW, Orbinski J, Price-Smith A, Prieur-Richard AH, Raja A, Secko DM, Suazo A, Swain A. (2016) Avoiding catastrophes: seeking synergies among the public health, environmental protection, and human security sector. The Lancet Global Health, 4(10):e680-681.
- West A, Nickerson JW, Breau G, Puck M, Dolgowicz C. (2016) The staffing patterns of respiratory therapists in critical care units of Canadian teaching hospitals. Canadian Journal of Respiratory Therapy, 52(3):75-80.
- Beall RF, Nickerson JW, Kaplan WA, Attaran A. (2016) Is patent “evergreening” restricting access to medicine/device combination products? PLOS One, 11(2):e014893.
- Nickerson JW, Attaran A, Westerberg BD, Curtis S, Overton S, Mayer P. (2016) Fatal bacterial meningitis possibly associated with substandard ceftriaxone – Uganda 2013. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 64(50-51):1375-1377.
- Nickerson JW. (2015) Access to medicines are an essential component of global surgery. World Journal of Surgery, 40(7):1790-1791.
- Welch V, Nickerson JW, Shea B, Ghogomu E, Walker P. (2015) Patient-centred rapid reviews will drive local decision-making. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 68:12(1526-1528).
- Nickerson, JW. (2015) A needs assessment to determine the need for respiratory therapy in complex continuing care: A methods paper. Canadian Journal of Respiratory Therapy, 51(3): 55-59.
- Nickerson JW, Hatcher-Roberts J, Adams O, Attaran A, Tugwell P. (2015). Assessments of health services availability in humanitarian emergencies: A field-based evaluation from Haiti and Sudan using a health systems approach. Conflict and Health, 9:20 doi: 10.1186/s13031-015-0045-6.
- Nickerson JW. (2014) Ensuring the security of health care in conflict settings: an urgent global health concern. Canadian Medical Association Journal,187(11):E347-E348.
- Nickerson JW, Attaran A. (2015) The Commission on Narcotic Drugs’ attempt to restrict ketamine. The Lancet, DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60490-1
- Attaran A, Nickerson JW. (2014). Is Canada patent deal obstructing Ebola vaccine development? The Lancet, DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)62044-4.
- Beall RF, Nickerson JW, Attaran A. (2014). Pan-Canadian medicine overpricing: A six-country study of generic medicine cost control. Open Medicine, 8(4):130-135.
- Nickerson JW, Attaran A. (2014). Access to controlled medicines for pain relief and anaesthesia in low-income countries. The Lancet, 383:1802.
- Nickerson JW, Adams O, Attaran A, Hatcher-Roberts J, Tugwell P. (2015). Monitoring the ability to deliver care in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review of health facility assessment tools. Health Policy & Planning, 30(5):675-686.
- Nickerson JW. (2013). Global health on the edge: the humanitarian tipping point. Can J Public Health, 104(3): e267-9.
- Knowlton LM, Chackungal S, Dahn B, LeBrun D, Nickerson J, McQueen K. (2013). Liberian surgical and anesthesia infrastructure: a survey of county hospitals. World J Surg, 37(4): 721-729.
- Burkle FM, Nickerson JW, von Schreeb J, Redmond AD, McQueen KA, Norton I, Roy N. (2012). Emergency surgery data and documentation reporting forms for sudden-onset humanitarian crises, natural disasters and the existing burden of surgical disease. Prehosp Disaster Med, 27(6): 1-6.
- Nickerson JW, Chackungal S, Knowlton L, McQueen K, Burkle FM Jr. (2012) Surgical care during humanitarian crises: a systematic review of published surgical caseload data from foreign medical teams. Prehosp Disaster Med 27(2): 184-189.
- Chackungal, S., Nickerson, J.W., Knowlton, L.M., Black, L. Burkle, F.M., Casey, K., Crandell, D., Demey, D., DiGiacomo, L., Dohlman, L., Goldstein, J., Gosney, J.E., Ikeda, K., Linden, A., Mullaly, C.M., O’Connell, C., Redmond, A.D., Richards, A., Rufsvold, R., Santos, A.L.R., Skelton, T., McQueen, K. (2011). Best practice guidelines on surgical response in disasters and humanitarian emergencies: report of the 2011 Humanitarian Action Summit Working Group on Surgical Issues Within the Humanitarian Space. Prehosp Disaster Med, 26(6): 429-437.
- Knowlton, L.M., Gosney, J.E., Chackungal, S., Altschuler, E., Black, L. Burkle, F.M., Casey, K., Crandell, D., Demey, D., DiGiacomo, L., Dohlman, L., Goldstein, J., Ikeda, K., Linden, A., Mullaly, C.M., Nickerson, J.W., O’Connell, C., Redmond, A.D., Richards, A., Rufsvold, R., Santos, A.L.R., Skelton, T., McQueen, K. (2011). Consensus statements regarding the multidisciplinary care of limb amputation patients in disasters or humanitarian emergencies: Report of the 2011 Humanitarian Action Summit Surgical Working Group on Amputations Following Disasters or Conflict. Prehosp Disaster Med, 26(6): 438-448.
- Nickerson JW, Attaran A. (2012) Opioids and chronic pain. CMAJ, 184(1):73.
- Nickerson JW, Attaran A. (2012) The inadequate treatment of pain: collateral damage from the war on drugs. PLoS Medicine, 9(1):e1001153
- Andabaka T, Nickerson JW, Rojas-Reyes MX, Vrca VB, Barsic B. Monoclonal antibody for reducing the risk of respiratory syncytial virus infection in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 9. Art No.: CD006602 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD006602.pub3.
- Sambunjak D, Nickerson JW, Poklepovic T, Johnson TM, Imai P, Tugwell P, Worthington HV. Flossing for the management of periodontal diseases and dental caries in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 12. Art. No.: CD008829. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008829.pub2.
- Gabriel P, Goulding R, Morgan-Jonker C, Turvey S, Nickerson J. (2010). Fostering Canadian drug research and development for neglected tropical diseases. Open Medicine, 4(2) E117-122.
- Nickerson J. (2010). Time to take action on global health: How respiratory therapists can contribute to global health equity. Canadian Journal of Respiratory Therapy, 46(1), 26-33. (PDF)
- Brousseau P, Nickerson J, Dobson G. (2007). Dexamethasone and Ondansetron Incompatibility in Polypropylene Syringes. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, 54(11), 953-954
- Brousseau P, Nickerson J, Murphy M. (2007). A survey of anesthesia assistant utilization in Canadian teaching hospitals (abstract). Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, 54(suppl. 1), 44264. (PDF)
- Nickerson, J. (2015). Tackling the Global Surgical Divide: What’s missing? What’s our role? Presentation to the University of Ottawa Department of Anesthesiology, Ottawa, Ontario, September 16, 2015.
- Nickerson, J. (2014). Health systems in humanitarian emergencies. Health Systems Strengthening: Improving Governance and Ensuring Equity (certificate course), Ottawa, Ontario, November 6, 2014.
- Nickerson, J. (2014). Blinded by the light? Health systems in humanitarian emergencies. Canadian Global Health Students and Young Professionals Summit, Ottawa, Ontario, November 1, 2014.
- Nickerson, J. (2013). Public health in emergencies: A primer for emergency residents. University of Ottawa Department of Emergency Medicine EMS Week, September 30, 2013.
- Nickerson, J.W., Andrus, J.K., Elsharkawi, H., & Baldi, T. (2012). Health systems in humanitarian emergencies: Transitioning from Emergency Response to Health Systems Strengthening. Presented at the Canadian Conference on Global Health, Ottawa, ON.
- Nickerson, J. (2012). Views from Beyond the OR – Understanding health from a global perspective. Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists Annual Educational Conference. Vancouver, BC.
- Nickerson, J. (2011). Surgical care in crises: what do the data tell us? Harvard Humanitarian Action Summit, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, March 7, 2011.
- Nickerson, J., Mijaljica, G. (2010). Crowdsourced data from crisis-affected populations: A research ethics perspective. Presented at the Canadian Conference on Global Health, Ottawa, ON.
- Nickerson, J. (2008). HIV, Gender and the World Bank: at the intersection of development. Panel member: Global Governance and Citizenship: The Role of Multilateral Organizations in Educational Change. Paper presented at the Comparative and International Education Society conference, Columbia University, New York, New York.
Remove policies that restrict access to opioids in developing countries, says report. BMJ, October 22, 2015.
Pot legalization: The world is watching. Embassy News, July 7, 2015.
Aid for Nepal may quintuple, but won’t be enough. CNN Money, April 28, 2015.
Canadian researchers help end war on ketamine as China withdraws motion to make anesthetic illegal. National Post, March 13, 2015.
China calls for the UN to classify Ketamine as illicit narcotic. The Current (CBC Radio), March 12, 2015.
The UN vs. ‘Special K’. National Post, March 10, 2015.
The war on ketamine: Canadian researchers fight Chinese-led effort to declare anesthetic an illicit narcotic. National Post, March 9, 2015.
Canada’s top doctor says he’s all for the new Ebola visa policy that’s come under fire. Ottawa Citizen, November 15, 2014.
Top doctor silenced on Ebola visa rules, critics claim. Ottawa Citizen, November 14, 2014.
Guinea urges Canada to review Ebola visa policy. Embassy, November 12, 2014.
Canadians’ generic-drug costs too high, study says. The Globe and Mail, October 14, 2014.
Canada paying more than double for common generic drugs, study says. The Toronto Star, October 14, 2014.